The following is from the American Wild Horse Campaign:
Thanks in large part to your advocacy on behalf of America’s cherished wild herds, your member of Congress just took huge steps to ensure wild horses and burros are protected in the Fiscal Year 2024 Appropriations bill.
First, we want to say thank you. Your continued action gives wild horses and burros a voice so that we can ensure their freedom and livelihood is always protected. Thanks to your work, Representative Joe Neguse just signed on to an important letter urging members of the House Interior Appropriations subcommittee to pass legislation in the FY24 Appropriations bill that would:
- Implement a substantial humane reversible immunocontraceptive fertility control vaccine program to manage wild horse and burro populations in the wild, including $11 million for these reversible fertility control vaccines.
- Prioritize partnerships with non-profit organizations, including working with military veterans and wild horse organizations.
- Evaluate relocating wild horses and burros to other Herd Management Areas (HMAs) to keep these animals on the range and out of off-range holding facilities.
- Consider humane alternatives to the use of helicopters.
- Maintain the ban that is intended to protect wild horses and burros from slaughter.
- Defund the cash incentive in the BLM’s “Adoption Incentive Program” and replace it with veterinary vouchers to help the BLM achieve its goal of increasing adoption rates, while also ensuring more humane outcomes for these animals.
|SEND A THANK YOU NOTE!|
Thanks for your help. We know with advocates like you by our side, more legislative wins for wild mustangs and burros are possible in 2024.
— AWHC Team