- LTR Blog
- About LTRThis is the History page.
- Contact UsThis is the Contact Us page.
The following is from the American Wild Horse Campaign:
News & Alerts
It’s official! Rep. Deb Haalad has been confirmed as the new Secretary of the Interior! As the first Native American nominated to this position, Secretary Haaland has bravely broken through barriers and the significance of her leading the Department of Interior cannot be overstated. Her historic and inspiring confirmation is a ray of hope for all Americans who cherish our public lands and wildlife, and especially our magnificent wild horses and burros.
Before the Senate’s historic vote to confirm her nomination, Secretary Haaland tweeted:
Indeed as a Congresswoman from New Mexico, Secretary Haaland was a champion for the environment and our public lands – including the protection of the wild horses and burros that call them home. Secretary Haaland brings a new ethic to the table right where it matters most, at the heart of the Interior Department.
In the House of Representatives she:
- Co-sponsored a historic House amendment, initiated by AWHC and our coalition partners in DC, requiring the BLM to redirect $11 million of the Bureau of Land Management’s annual budget towards PZP fertility control, rather than mass roundup and removals.
- Cosigned a bipartisan letter, urging the Senate to pass the fertility control amendment.
- Took a stand against the BLM’s brutal surgical sterilization procedures, urging it to instead use humane, scientifically proven fertility control methods.
With Secretary Haaland at the helm, we are moving in the right direction — towards the protection and preservation of America’s iconic wild horses and burros. AWHC looks forward to implementing sensible solutions to humanely manage these majestic animals that 80 percent of Americans want to protect.
Wild horses have a fighting chance. This is our moment. This is our time. Welcome to the Interior Department, Secretary Haaland!
The AWHC Team