Breaking: Devastating News for Wild Horses
The following is from the American Wild Horse Campaign:
We wanted you to know immediately: The House Appropriations Committee today took a devastating action to authorize the BLM to manage wild horses and burros in non-reproducing and single-sex herds by subjecting them to risky, invasive surgeries like this: link to video.
If passed by the full Congress this would spell the beginning of the end for the iconic, free-roaming mustang herds of the American West.
While this is bad news, we can stop it in the Senate. Game on!
Here’s what you can do today:
- Call Your Senators at 202-224-3121. Tell them to stand with the 80 percent of Americans who want wild horses protected and humanely managed. Ask them to oppose any 2019 appropriations language that authorizes the slaughter, killing, or sterilization of these cherished federally-protected animals.
- You can also let the amendment sponsor and supporters know how you feel about their vote.
- Rep. Chris Stewart, amendment sponsor, 202-225-9730
- Rep. Ken Calvert, Interior Appropriations Subcommittee Chair, (202) 225-1986
- Rep. Betty McCollum, Interior Appropriations Subcommittee Ranking member, (202) 225-6631
Please be polite and respectful but firm.
Meanwhile, stay ready, stay tuned and stay strong… more soon!
– The AWHC Team