Little Filly Fund
The following is from All About Equine Animal Rescue:
In the hustle and bustle of our busiest time of year, we have a critical case, an orphan filly that was not only rejected by mom, but reeling from the effects of mom’s rejection, malnourishment and selenium deficiency, topped of by stress of transport and dehydration. She needs your help!
We go the call yesterday (4/5), a plea for assistance with an orphaned foal who was just a few hours old. She had been rejected by mom and needed help.
So transport was arranged and off we went. She was about 4.5 hours away, but we met in the middle. Gosh, what a precious lil’ filly we met, but it’s been a really rough start! Unfortunately, she was very weak, and definitely in a fragile state. She plopped down on the ground to rest, so we layed her down in the back seat and hightailed it back to Loomis Basin Equine Medical Center (LBEMC) to check her out.
Turns out she looked better than she was. Her blood values were not good, and she was hospitalized.
Lots of attention and supportive measures were taken. A catheter was placed, blood drawn, and meds administered.
We left her looking fairly good and feeling hopeful.
But with foals, things can change quickly. A call at midnight informed us her blood values moving in wrong direction, and we were being prepared for not so good news by morning. HOWEVER, she was up and drinking milk replacer on her own, so that was good!
This morning, she was holding her own, but still quite sick. She was still getting up on her own and drinking her milk replacer with a good appetite. That offered some optimism to keep pushing forward. This afternoon, she was up, she was eating, and her blood levels were finally trending in the right direction, and the 9p update is things are still moving in the right direction.
She wants to live! She’s a FIGHTER and AAE wants to support her as she continues her battle.
Although she’s not out of the woods, the docs think she’s moving in the right direction. It likely she’s dealing with the results of being rejected by mom, and secondary effects resulting from mom’s malnourishment and selenium deficiency, as well as stressors from long transport and dehydration. It’s a lot for any young, new life to endure. Docs are hopeful that with 5 +/- days of hospitalization and supportive care, she has a good shot at a relatively normal life. However, there is a chance there will be some long lasting effects, but it’s too early to know. We need a few more days to have a better picture, but so far, the trend is good.
A BIG THANK YOU to the docs at LBEMC for their quick actions and the outstanding care provided for this little filly. We are all hoping for continued progress.
Without hospitalization, she has little chance of survival at this point. The unfortunate reality is that we are looking at a big expense for this one little life, well over $5,000 to get there. She needs your help.
If our big community can help in little bits, the hit isn’t so hard to any one, and for those that need, AAE is a 501(c)(3), so donations are tax deductible.
No donation is too small. If everyone that can will help just a little, we can give this precious girl a chance to live a full life.
Some folks may think because of the costs that euthanasia is the better choice. Fair enough, and if you feel that way, you are under no obligation to donate. But if you are like many others and believe every life counts as long as there’s a good chance for a good quality of life, please help if you can. Because this little girl has a good chance for a good quality of life, we think she deserves the opportunity. This girl wants to live!
This little girl thanks YOU for caring enough to help her live.
“By saving the life of one horse, we may not be changing the world, but we are changing the world for that one horse.” – Author Unknown
Please note, should there be excess funds, they will apply to future AAE veterinary needs.