Help a Horse Day with Spirit Keeper Equine Sanctuary
Spirit Keeper Equine Sanctuary will be celebrating the ASPCA® (The AmericanSociety for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals®) national Help A Horse Day April 22-24.
This nationwide Help A Horse Day Celebration is for equine rescues and sanctuaries to raise awareness about the lifesaving work they do year-round to care for at-risk horses in their community who have often been abused or neglected. Horses have been central to the ASPCA’s work since its founding 150 years ago, when Henry Bergh stopped a cart driver from beating his horse, resulting in the first successful arrest for the mistreatment of a horse on April 26, 1866.
In addition to caring for special needs horse at our facility Spirit Keeper Equine Sanctuary has an Equine Re-Homing Assistance Program to help people who are no longer able to keep their horses.
We are currently working with an individual in Montana who because of divorce, loss of pasture land, and loss of employment needs to re-home 10 horses which include working ranch horses, broodmares, and yearlings. Efforts have been made to place the horses in new homes locally however, time has run out and rather than see the remaining horses go to auction and/or end up at slaughter they will be euthanized/put down and buried on their Montana ranchland. In a final effort to avoid this, the horses’ caretaker has reached out to Spirit Keeper Equine Sanctuary for re-homing help. We have agreed to bring the horses to our facility in Colorado and facilitate placing each horse in new homes. To raise money for transport, health certificates, veterinary care, dental care, farrier care, feed, and hay we are holding the following fundraising events during Help A Horse Day on April 22 – 24, 2016.
- Friday, April 22, 2016 – Yard/Garage/Barn sale at Spirit Keeper Equine Rescue from 1:00 – 5:00 pm
- Saturday, April 23, 2016 – Education Day at the Big R Store in Colorado Springs from 11:00 am – 3:00 pm
- Sunday, April 24, 2016 – Spirit Keeper Equine Sanctuary Open House from 2:00 – 5:00 pm
- From now through the end of April contribute directly at www.GoFundMe.com/Montana10
- Support our T-Shirt Booster through the end of April at www.booster.com/2016HelpAHorseDay